What To Do When A Pipe Bursts In Your Fairfield Home
When you have a broken pipe in your home, it can quickly become an overwhelming nightmare. Walls, ceilings, and floors may be affected by water damage on multiple levels, along with your furniture and other personal belongings.
If you need immediate emergency assistance, call SERVPRO of Westport/Fairfield 24/7 - 203-707-1952
7 Steps To Take For Burst Pipe Cleanup
- Immediately turn the main water line off. You want to stop the water flow to prevent excess water from flooding your home. Also, you cannot begin to clean up water while it is still flowing.
- Call a plumber. They can find the burst pipe for you and repair it.
- Move any wet items from the flooded area. Move carpets, furniture, and other belongings to help speed their drying time, and clear the affected areas for cleanup.
- Begin to remove standing water as fast as possible. You can use a wet dry vacuum from Home Depot or Lowes to suck up water, or even use towels, mops, and buckets. If there's a large amount of standing water, you may need a water cleanup company to come in and extract the water with their commercial grade equipment instead.
- Begin drying out the flood-affected areas. You should set up fans on their highest settings and set up dehumidifiers to get as much excess moisture as you can. Unfortunately, in more severe water damage situations, household fans and dehumidifiers may not be able to get the job done. In this case, you may want to buy higher grade equipment from a hardware store or call in a water damage restoration company to set up their commercial grade equipment.
- Inspect the damaged areas. Look to see if drywall, ceilings, hardwood floor, or subfloor is water damaged or wet. If so, you may need to make flood cuts to help walls and ceilings dry, replace flooring, or call a restoration company with specialized equipment to restore your water damaged hardwood floors. If you aren't sure if your property is dry or not, you should call a water damage company to come out and take moisture readings - they will be able to tell you just how wet materials are.
- Perform any needed repairs. You may need to fix drywall, repaint, or install new carpets.
Why Is It So Important To Properly Dry Water Damage?
If you don't correctly handle water damage in your home and water or moisture is left behind, it's more than likely for mold to grow and require mold remediation, as well as the following:
- Paint may bubble or blister
- Wood flooring may warp, swell, or become moldy
- Unwanted smells
- Structural decay or dry rot
Check out our water damage timeline for more details!
Is a Burst Pipe Covered by Homeowner's Insurance?
In most cases, the damages caused by a broken pipe will be covered by your insurance company. They will likely not cover fixing the actual pipe, but they will cover the cleanup & repair of the damages caused by it. That means you may have to pay your plumber, but not the restoration service that comes out to clean up damages.
If you're unsure about your insurance coverage, our Project Managers can help you review your policy on site and help you make the decision on whether or not you should file your claim based on coverage and your deductible. If needed, they can even file the claim with you to ensure your loss is covered.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of Westport/Fairfield Today! 203-707-1952
We are highly trained water damage specialists, ready to respond to your call 24/7, 365 days a year.
SERVPRO of Westport/Fairfield provides all customers:
- 24/7/365 Rapid emergency service
- Free Inspections
- Free estimates
- Direct insurance billing & guidance through insurance process.