Can Snow Cause Water Damage in Westport, CT?
Connecticut homeowners are familiar with snowstorms, but they may not realize how common water damage may become during the winter season.
Did you know that snow and water damage can often go hand in hand? Not only can your roof collapse due to the heavy weight of snow, but melting snow and ice can also cause significant damage throughout your property.
Need Snow Water Damage Restoration in Westport, CT? Call Us Today - 203-707-1952
What Causes Snow Water Damage in Westport, CT?
There are several ways snow and ice can cause water damage, such as:
- Excessive snow melt
- Ice dams
- Leaks from melting snow
- Roof leak after heavy snowfall
- Leaks from clogged gutters
1. Excessive Snow Melt
If warmer temperatures follow a snowstorm, any snow that’s piled up around your property can melt and oversaturate the ground.
Once the ground around your foundation becomes oversaturated, the water can seep through the concrete and into your basement, similarly to how basements flood after heavy rains.
2. Ice Dams
When rising temperatures cause the snow on your roof to melt, the water flows to the edge and refreezes. Over time, this process creates a large ridge of ice buildup, known as an ice dam.
Ice dams can cause water to back up under shingles and into your attic, resulting in roof and ceiling leaks inside your home.
3. Leaks From Melting Snow
Melting snow can easily slip through any cracks or crevices that may be present in your property.
This means that any gaps in windows, doors, or other areas can allow water to make its way into your home.
4. Roof Leak After Heavy Snowfall
Did you know that one cubic foot of snow can weigh anywhere from 7 to 20 pounds?
When heavy snow accumulates on your roof, it can weaken the structural framing, leaving your roof susceptible to leaks or collapse.
5. Leaks From Clogged Gutters
Gutters help move water away from your roof and foundation to prevent water damage.
When gutters become filled with snow and ice, they may overflow, directing water down the side of your house and into the ground at your foundation.
How To Prevent Water Damage From Melting Snow in Westport, CT
There are several things homeowners can do to help avoid snow water damage in Westport, CT.
- Use a roof rake - A roof rake can help prevent excess buildup of snow and ice on your roof and in gutters.
- Remove snow from the perimeter of your home - By shoveling snow away from your home, you can help prevent melting snow from oversaturating the ground around your foundation.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated - Ensuring your attic stays cold prevents the snow on your roof from melting and creating an ice dam. You can also install heat cables to melt away snow and ice that may build up on the edges of your roof.
- Clear your gutters of any debris before and after snowstorms - Keeping your gutters clear allows melting snow to flow freely away from your home.
- Get Your Roof Inspected - Call a professional to inspect your roof and perform any needed repairs before snow and ice have the opportunity to cause more damage.
- Fill any cracks before winter arrives - Make sure any cracks or gaps in the structure of your home are filled to prevent melting snow from slipping through.
Professional Snow Water Damage Restoration in Westport, CT
24/7 Emergency Service
Complete Drying & Dehumidification Services
Complete Restoration Services
Mold Remediation Services
Directly Bill Your Insurance Company
If you discover water damage from melting snow in Westport, CT, you want to seek immediate assistance. When left to sit, water damage can cause further issues like structural problems, mold growth, and more.
As your local water damage restoration company with over 15 years of experience in snow water damage restoration in Westport, CT, you can trust SERVPRO of Westport/Fairfield to handle any size disaster. Our IICRC Certified team is highly trained, with the equipment and resources needed to address your water damage with expert and efficient service.
When you call SERVPRO of Westport/Fairfield for help after snow water damage in Westport, CT, our goal is to make the damage to your home “Like it never even happened.”